Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Where do the days go?

Mine seem to disappear in a whirlwind of coffee, working out, and work. The day to day routine, after a while, leaves something to be desired. I don't know what causes this restlessness, the dissatisfaction with things that have to happen to get through the week. I found myself loading the dishwasher with a sigh last night, thinking 'Is this what my next 10 years is going to look like?'.

I admit, I get bored easily. My mother is going to retire soon, after teaching at the same school for almost 30 years. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but can I picture myself doing the same thing for 30 years? No way. I've been in the same industry for 8 years now, but have changed my roll within 'the biz' many times already. Changing technology will do that. I love my current job, I really do. Yet there's that part of me that can't help but wonder what else is out there. Not that I'm going anywhere anytime soon, but you know what I mean.

The day gets lost in breakfast, a walk or a trip to the gym, the scramble to get ready for work, fix lunch, pack dinner. The 20 minute commute, 8 hours or work, the drive home. Another hour spent reading or surfing, maybe watching TV, and then I crawl into bed exhausted. Lather rinse repeat, 5 days a week.

So it's the little things that make the routine better. Bugging my sister while she's at work is one. The baristas at my favorite coffee shop who know my drink. Knowing the back half of my work night is spent watching one of my favorite shows. That fit of glee I feel when something I created gets picked up. Random unexpected text messages.

I have a short vacation coming up and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be headed home to visit family and some hometown friends. And that, to me, is so much more important than getting annoyed with my dishwasher. Maybe I just need to remember that the next time I'm feeling whiny.

After all, it's Thursday, the sun is out, and the smell of Christmas shopping is in the air. What's not to love? *grin*

No comments: