Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's all about the small stuff

Borrowing a post from the lovely Polly over at Yoga is Yummy, it's all about the little things that make you smile. Here are a few that have made my list lately

1. Driving with the windows rolled down. I'm notorious for rolling down my windows, hair whipping in the wind without a car....in February. So long as it's not snowing and anywhere near 60 degrees, down go the windows. This usually means driving with the heat on full blast at the same time, but I just can't help myself. I love the feel of the breeze and my left hand resting outside the door, usually thumping on the blue metal in time to the music. Yes, I'm that crazy person in the car ahead of you on I-90 or the 520 bridge. I've also discovered that Washington smells absolutely glorious at this time of year. When you can inhale the scent of pine and lake water while driving 65 miles an hour, that says something about the air quality here, methinks.

2. Random trivia. Case in point, this evening while watching Nightly News with Brian Williams, there was a story on about Princes William and Harry. The report mentioned the word Shropshire, which Brian then repeated, chuckling spit out the "foreign" word. Something deep in my brain twisted around, and I blurted "THE SHROPSHIRE SLASHER!!!!!" in crazy cartoon intonation. My co-worker turned around, wondering if I had again lost my mind. Nope. It's from a Looney Tunes episode that I probably saw some Saturday morning 15 years ago. I explained the premise of the cartoon to him, and he didn't believe me. Ha! Behold, the beauty that is youtube! Deduce, you say? Vindicated by the glorious interwebs once again! I love that while I may not remember where I left my crackberry 30 seconds after I walk in the door, my brain somehow manages to dig up something completely obscure from childhood.

3. Words. Written, spoken, sung, I can't seem to get enough of them lately. I've been on an NPR bender, the likes of which I haven't done in at least a year. I've been reading anything I can get my hands on. I'm fascinated with what's happening in Iran right now, and have been trying to learn as much as I can about that part of the world. I also recently finished this book that talks about the Israel/Palestine conflict. It was recommended to me by a friend, and I was so struck by the author's quiet strength and insight.

That's just a handful of what's crossed my mind lately. It's a loud, messy place in there, and I love it!

5 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

I love the smell of Washington. Take a deep breath for me.

introublewiththeking said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

I love your spirit! What a great post. You're such a beautiful person =)

Ashley said...

Ooops... sorry for making a mess on your blog wall. "Opiateofthemasses" was my old blogger name and I didn't want you to not recognize it so I deleted the comment. Neat posting fail! =)

Unknown said...

I've actually been to Luna Park Cafe!!!! We love it! I am addicted to anything with a patio, and that place is just super cute. Josh loves their milkshakes and I'm a big omelette fan. Thanks for the pointers. :)

This is a lonely post as well :)