Monday, March 9, 2009

More white death falls from the sky

details at 11...

In my past life working in television, I can't tell you how many times I had wanted to write scripts that are totally inappropriate for air but would have been almost worth getting fired over. If I was employed in Seattle television news, I think this is how my lead story would have gone this evening.

Widespread panic ensued across the greater Seattle metro area today as more mysterious white death fell from the sky. People became alarmed when the cold white substance began clinging to grass and tree branches. Fearing the worst, most drivers fled the safety of their office buildings for the highways and byways, taking comfort in knowing they were going nowhere fast. Though the flakes failed to accumulate on the pavement, the general consensus of 'better safe than sorry' kept traffic moving at a risky 5 miles an hour. If you don't need to drive this evening, please stay in your homes. We all know the dangers presented by slightly damp roadways, and encourage you to avoid them at all costs.

Seriously folks. It's just a little snow. In all my snark, I admit I'm a touch concerned about icing on the gigantic hill I live on, but in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal. As soon as the snow started sticking, around 3:00 p.m. I think, I watched as most other employees on campus freaked and started heading for home. There was a rather large stream of snail's pace vehicles for quite some time. The picture I snapped with my crackberry just doesn't do it justice. I had a good laugh and wandered back to my office. The snow stopped maybe half an hour later.

In other news....it seems the news all around us is frightfully bad these days. News and information is a passion of mine, but even I have reached my breaking point of ENOUGH already. When you find yourself watching Sesame Street instead of Good Morning America or Today, knowing full well that you need to know what's going on to do well at your job later, you know you're burnt out. So if need a good news break here's something for a laugh: Click here for Good News

Or, do you know anyone who's good work is improving the lives of others? Then share it with NBC Nightly News. All this week, they will be doing a "Making a Difference" segment every night (usually this is just Fridays) to showcase the good news that's out there. See here for details. This is in response to an overwhelming amount of viewer e-mails that also expressed enough already. If you don't believe your media is serving you, TELL THEM. News is still a public service....and it still relies on viewer and reader input to make the decisions of what to cover. Make yourself heard...you may be surprised at the response you get.

And in other more personal news: I did it. I signed up for the Seattle RNR half. I paid the money, I'm dedicated to it now, and I'm really excited about it.

May you all have some good news in your life!

3 comments:

Katy said...

LOL, that's so true! Seattleites totally freak out when it snows!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Let me know if you try any good vegan places or if you need any food ideas!

Anonymous said...

This is great. You really are a talented writer. I would have taken your 'script' over mine any day. But seriously, good stuff.

The Spicers said...

Totally unrelated to this post, but I noticed on Belette Rouge that you mentioned a Providence hairdresser who was good with curly hair and hoped you could pass along her name. I've got terrible triangle-head at the moment.